Friday, July 12, 2013

WEEK 15 -- "PRECIOUS SAVIOR, DEAR REDEEMER"

WEEK 15 – “Precious Savior, Dear Redeemer”

Hello Dearest Family & Friends!

Wow what a week!! So much has happened and I hope I can adequately describe the events. Some tears have been shed and hugs exchanged as the announcement was made that our dear Mission President Armstrong will be leaving the mission due to the health of his wife. We found out after I wrote to you last week and now the news has really set in.

At first I was in denial and shock. I didn´t know how to take this, nor how it would affect my mission. My companion began to fuss and talk about how she couldn´t “do” her mission without President Armstrong. He really has worked with her a lot and I know that there are few concerning issues that have come to the surface since I have been her companion, but her actions helped me choose quickly which side I was going to be on with all of this --complaining or understanding. It was still painful to come to terms with the words, "The Lord’s will be done" and I have cried about it, but I know the Lord does things as they need to be done—in His time and in His way. 

The Mission President and his wife mean so much to me. I remember the first time I met them. They greeted us as we got off the plane and their looks of reassurance and welcome hearts to our wonderful mission were exactly what I needed. I knew I would be loved by them and that I could grow in this atmosphere of security and peace. During my first night in Uruguay I was getting ready for bed and had a feeling to go into the living room and there was Hermana Armstrong. I felt like I wanted to be near her.

I listened to what she was saying and the direction she was giving to the other elders for the following day. It was wonderful to just be in her presence. A scripture comes to mind as I look back on that experience, "Did not our hearts burn within us as [she] did sit and talk with us and share scriptures with us?" (Luke 24). I feel so honored to know them and to have experiences with them that I will hold and treasure. Our new Mission President is President Newsome. His trainer in the mission field was President Armstrong!! Cool, eh? They both served in Uruguay, Montevideo Mission. 

Things have really progressed here in La Paz, Uruguay. I am grateful for this. The Lord really helps us and directs us if we live worthy of having the Holy Ghost as our companion. We have one girl who is so ready for baptism and she will be baptized on the 22 of June! Her name is Yaninia (Sh-nine-ah). She is 17 and wow what a great girl she is! Our ward was really accepting of her and I know the Lord lead us to find her. We have also encountered four more potential baptisms by the end of June! May the Lord guide us and help us with these investigators. He “Knows” them—He really knows them! We only know them for but a small moment and we are here to serve them & help them find Him.

We have yet a new companion here with us in our little family of La Paz --lol. Hermana Phillips has yet a new oro to train!! Hermana Spradlin left for the other mission this last week and we have a wonderful new addition to our home, Hermana Hatch. NOW GET THIS—Ha! Ha! I honestly am amazed by this. While I went to school at BYU-Idaho she was my neighbor in Lamprecht Hall during spring semester!! Can you believe what a small world it is?! It is so cool! The more we have talked, the more I have realized how she really is a great person and someone I can see myself being friends with for a long time. 

Today (P-day) we have spent time getting to know one another in casual-awesome way! Karina, you know how we have laughed and got into the horoscope things, well :P haha she is born in January, so “naturally” we are getting along, both being Aquarius’s and all. :) Karina, I don´t know if you were praying for me to find a bosom friend, but I think this girl might be that “gold” I have been hoping for and waiting patiently for. How fun!! I love Hermana Janessa Hatch. We both admitted that the semester we met was not a good time in our lives and that we are grateful to get to know the more experienced and mission selves that we are today!! The Lord is so good to us!! :D I feel so blessed!

I have had a lot of time to ponder this week. We have a lot of investigators that are biblically astute! I have been trying to read the bible every day and to get more familiar with it. Any way, I felt prompted in a charla (lesson) the other day to share about the history of the Bible from the background I have studied. It was wonderful to find words come to my head--words I didn´t think I knew-- and explain how the whole history of the world was involved in preparing the people to receive the Book of Mormon as a companion and another testament of the Bible and Jesus Christ. I went on to explain how the religious world was ready for the Restoration.

This experience more deeply solidified my testimony and I have a greater love and understanding for the saints who lived during the times of the New Testament and for the sacrifice made by my ancestors—and all the pioneers and Joseph Smith. How incredible this gospel is. How great is our purpose. How wonderful the Glory of God is!

Samuel Merrill shared a scripture with me that I would like to share with you. Alma 26:16 "Therefore, let us glory, yea we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his longsuffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel." What a beautiful scripture this is.

Kaleb, you said something that I like a lot with your comments about kicking against the pricks—in Acts 9:5 where it mentions this, Saul was learning that his actions were harming himself more than anyone else. When we fight against what is right, we hurt ourselves the most. I too have learned that it is important to heed the promptings of your conscience and as it says in the quote at Mt. Vernon “conscience is a part of heaven to guide us". This is SO TRUE! I love this and thanks for sharing your wisdom little bro!! <3

I love this work. Hopefully the lessons will go well this week! And may God be with you. He is here beside me, my Precious Savior, Dear Redeemer (see Doctrine and Covenants 84:88). Love it!

Sincerely,
Hermana Hansen


No comments:

Post a Comment